Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Wenatchee Valley Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Operating room nurse coordinates the care for surgical patients during the intra-operative phase of care. OR nurse job duties include patient education, circulating nurse and/or scrub nurse roles.
1. Checks the operating room for general cleanliness and readiness prior to any procedures. Arranges the OR for the procedure, including adjusting lights, positioning Mayo stands and stools, etc. Circulator also procures additional equipment as needed. Checks all equipment in the OR (lights, suction, oxygen, monitors, etc.) for proper functioning prior to procedures.
2. Assists in opening sterile supplies for each procedure.
3. Checks the patient’s chart in the pre-operative holding area and verifies that it is complete and in order. Makes sure that the consent form matches the scheduled procedure. Interviews the patient after verifying patient identification. Confirms patient NPO status, allergies, procedure to be performed, verifies correct surgical site, and answers any questions that the patient may have. Offers further patient education if needed. Relays significant findings to other staff as well as to the surgeon and anesthesia provider.
4. Transports patient to the operating room. Positions and secures the patient on the operating table. Performs skin prep.
5. Performs “timeout” verification procedures with surgical team and documents such.
6. Assists anesthesia provider with intubation of patient as necessary.
7. Completes the proper sponge, sharps and instrument counts per department policy and procedure.
8. Keeps the OR clean and organized during the procedure.
9. Performs intra-operative documentation throughout the procedure. Maintains all necessary logs. Accepts, handles, labels and documents all specimens according to department policy and procedure.
10. Obtains necessary lab reports, medications, and IV solutions as needed throughout the procedure. Is very familiar with the policy and procedure on blood transfusion. Calls for lab, blood bank or pathology assistance or backup as needed and requested by the physician.
11. Continually observes the movements of the surgical team during the performance of their duties to assure that there is no break in aseptic technique during the procedure. Intervenes and assists when a break in procedure or sterility occurs or is suspected.
12. Is flexible in working hours. Understands that overtime is common in the operating room environment. Willing to assist in the PACU if needed and trained to do so.
13. Takes appointed call rotations as scheduled. Performs essential job functions of scrub nurse when trained to do so.
14. Supervises all persons in the OR environment, to include: LPNs, CSTs, STs, CMAs, MAs, Radiology Techs, surgical product representatives, students, visitors and observers.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
RN graduate of an accredited school of nursing is required.
ACLS and/or PALS certification within one year of employment.
CNOR certification preferred.
Previous procedural nursing experience desired but not necessary.
Who We Are: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system that includes two hospitals and more than 40 medical specialties, to provide comprehensive medical care in North Central Washington. With over 270 physicians and 150 advanced practice clinicians, Confluence Health is the major medical provider between Seattle and Spokane. Our goal is to deliver high-quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care close to home. Staying on the leading edge of healthcare innovation is important, so we invest in technology--to provide better care for our patients and allow our providers to operate at the highest level. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost-effective manner. Our Vision: To become the highest value rural healthcare system in the nation that improves health, quality of life, and is a source of pride to those who work here.Apply