Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Central Washington Hospital
Schedule: Pool Position
Shift: Variable Shifts
The Clinical Pharmacist at CWH works in a diverse inpatient setting. Clinical areas of coverage include Medical, Progressive care, Intensive Care, Surgical, Oncology, Labor and Delivery, Post-Partum, Neonatal, and Pediatric Populations. CWH is a 200 bed hospital with a large geographic referral area and includes open heart surgery and high volumes of cath lab procedures. During inpatient hospital shifts, the pharmacist will work on the floor as the medication expert on the interdisciplinary patient care team. Clinical pharmacists provide drug information regarding the safety, efficacy and cost-effectiveness of medications. The pharmacist works under a robust collaborative drug therapy agreement that allows the prescribing of almost all classes of medication. Efforts in antimicrobial stewardship, glucose control, pharmacokinetic consultation, anticoagulation and parenteral nutrition services are primary focus areas. Technician medication reconciliation is signed off by the clinical pharmacist on admission and physician discharge lists are signed by pharmacist at discharge. Our clinical pharmacy staff is > 80% BCPS and performs as a high functioning team. Pharmacists are expected to be able to staff in a variety of different clinical areas as well as central pharmacy. Occasional evening and midnight shifts are required but divided evenly amongst the team.
1. Assure safe, effective, and cost-effective use of drugs on behalf of the patient through the application of specialized knowledge, skills and professional judgment, while considering the patient’s disease conditions.
2. Maintains knowledge of age specific issues and applies knowledge to the provision of care within our institution.
3. Assure compliance with hospital and departmental policies, procedures, and practice guidelines.
4. Provide drug information for physicians, nurses, and patients; utilizing specialized knowledge, critical thinking and available drug resources.
5. Coordination of the drug distribution system/pharmacy services for areas of responsibility.
6. Participates as a member of multi-disciplinary rounds.
7. Compliance with formulary management and therapeutic substitution initiatives.
8. Assure on-going improvements in therapy and systems through collaborative problem-solving, research and participation in the hospital and department’s organizational performance initiatives.
9. Provide direct supervision of pharmacy technicians. Responsible for overseeing and monitoring the daily activities of pharmacy technicians to appropriately maintain the provision of safe, timely and effective pharmaceuticals. Supervise medication reconciliation activities.
10. Assists the clinical pharmacy manager and other staff in developing and maintaining quality assurance programs, new clinical services, an effective formulary, medication use evaluation, and appropriate policy and procedures.
11. Supports the continuum of patient care through communication and coordination of home IV drug therapy services with the Home Infusion Pharmacist.
12. Assists in the development of protocols, guidelines and critical pathways.
13. Participates in the training and development of pharmacists, technicians and other health care disciplines.
14. Participate as a member of multi-disciplinary and pharmacy committees as deemed appropriate by the Clinical Pharmacy Manager.
15. Assist in Adverse Drug Reaction and Medication Error reporting with ideas for prevention of future incidents.
16. Maintain patient confidentiality standards.
17. Positively contributes to employee morale.
18. Code Blue participation.
19. Assists the Pharmacy Director in preparing the department for JCAHO review.
20. Meets priorities as established by the Pharmacy Director.
21. Responsible for communicating operational and personal concerns, and opportunities for improvement to department leadership.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
Knowledge, Skill, and Competency Expectations:
1. Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision and handle stress appropriately.
2. Ability to work cooperatively with health-system and pharmacy staff.
3. Ability to handle frequent interruptions (multi-task) and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
4. Ability to set priorities, make critical decisions, and respond quickly to emergency requests.
5. Ability to exercise sound professional judgment.
6. Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing).
7. Ability to meet the pharmaceutical care needs of a variety of patients.
Graduate of an ACPE-accredited School of Pharmacy with a BS Pharmacy, or PharmD.
Completion of an ASHP accredited residency
BLS within first year of employment and maintenance of certification
Basic Computer skills related to Windows navigation, keyboarding, email communication and password management
Currently licensed, or eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the state of Washington.
Board Certification in a pharmacy specialty.
EPIC electronic medical record experience
About Confluence Health: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system with two hospitals, multi-specialty care in 30+ service lines and primary care in 11 communities across north central Washington State. Our 270 physicians and 130 advanced practice clinicians serve an area of approximately 12,000 square miles and cover nearly every corner of this region through specialty outreach. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost effective manner. Our Setting and Lifestyle: We are located in the heart of Washington State and just 2.5 hours east of Seattle. Our region offers a diverse array of recreational opportunities in breathtaking landscapes, from alpine country to the high desert, orchards to vineyards, cross country skiing to fly fishing and everything in between. Cycling, mountain biking, rafting, hiking; it is all right here. The region also offers a family friendly environment with excellent schools and cultural and art activities for the entire family.Apply