Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Central Washington Hospital
Schedule: Full Time; 3 - 12 hours shifts
Shift: Night Shift
The Sterile Processing Tech I is responsible for decontamination, cleaning, processing, assembling and sterilization of supplies and equipment dispensed by the department following infection control practices. Must be conscientious with regard to procedures and capable of working under pressure and interfacing professionally with other departments within the hospital. Able to accept new ideas and lean position duties.
1. Ensures proper operation of autoclave units prior to use on a daily basis.
2. Operates and monitors all decontamination and sterilization equipment in Sterile Processing.
3. Sterilize instruments, equipment, utensils, linen and supplies using various types of sterilizers; load sterilizers in the prescribed manner and set controls to specified time and temperature according to material and requirements of items being sterilized; complete appropriate documentation records prior to sterilization; read and initial autoclave graph to verify appropriate sterilization cycle and provide required records for the Public Health Department inspection.
4. Assemble all instrument procedure trays, packs, and kits according to the prescribed manner using content lists as a guide; wrap package and handle all items following procedure; mark items with identifying data and distribute or store in designated area; notify supervisor when unable to replace parts or with equipment deficiencies in the work area. Assures that all indicators for terminal sterilization have been met prior to redistribution of the product. Report indicators not met to lead technician/director.
5. Works closely with Sterilizing Processing Manager and Supervisor, assists with training and inservice for new personnel.
6. Able to work closely with others in positive ways.
7. Maintains appropriate biological testing in routine fashion and documents results as required.
8. Apply aseptic techniques in daily work assignments. General cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets and all storage areas.
9. Assists with processing department supply/equipment charges.
10. Stores all supplies and equipment; stocks Sterile Processing’s dispensing racks.
11. Takes physical inventory as required.
12. Must be physically able to work in high stress, training type situations.
13. Responsible for stocking specialty carts, keeping them in order and ensuring all items are present.
14. Stores all supplies and equipment in appropriate location.
15. Knowledgeable regarding handling and care of instruments, tray preparation and special procedure items.
16. Tray assemblage, proper packaging and preparation of all applicable supplies for sterilization. Monitor sterility dates on supplies.
17. Observes Universal Precautions.
18. Properly load, operate and clean all sterilizers, sterrad, steam, and all general equipment using biological and chemical control tests as required by department.
19. Maintain preventive maintenance procedures and control procedure on electrical heating and cooling units. Make out repair order for Engineering Department and/or Bio Medical Engineering for any unit found inoperable.
20. Inspects units regularly for proper equipment cleaning and functioning.
21. Receive and deliver surgical supplies and fill requisition requests.
22. Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
23. Rotating work schedules and rotating shifts may be required.
24. Order Sterile Processing stock as needed.
25. Picks supplies/instruments according to surgeon’s preferences and assures that all case carts are properly set up prior to case.
26. Address patients, visitors, families, and co-workers in a pleasant and respectful manner: display courtesy at all times.
27. Respond quickly and appropriately to inquiries and requests.
28. Assist co-workers without being asked.
29. Display an unhurried and caring manner with visitors, families, and co-workers when performing duties.
30. Maintain confidentiality of all patient-hospital or physician related information. Refrain from gossip and speak in low tones in all appropriate areas.
31. Demonstrate a pleasing disposition and sensitivity to visitors’, families, and co-workers’ needs.
32. Perform related assignments as requested in order to promote positive visitor, family, and co-worker relations.
Communicate, cooperate and perform related duties with other co-workers in your department and in other departments in a courteous and efficient manner to achieve overall hospital goals and objectives.
Greet all visitors, families, and co-workers, patients and physicians in a courteous, respectful and professional manner at all times. Respond to all visitors, clients, families, and co-workers with empathy and positive interpersonal skills at all times.
Handle all requests with a positive attitude at the time the request is made.
Assume the responsibility for maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships with all those working or being cared for in the hospital, outpatient, or home setting.
Demonstrate a commitment to providing the highest and most reliable quality service available on a daily basis.
Strive for positive change in your work area. Cooperate with team members in a constructive and supportive manner.
Be responsible for addressing inappropriate or unacceptable behavior on the part of a co-worker(s) in your department.
Demonstrate ethical conduct and practices.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- Graduate of high school or equivalent.
- Completion of Purdue University online Sterile Processing course and CRCST certification through IAHCSMM within 18 months of hire.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology and nomenclature of items and equipment used by the department.
- Knowledgeable with cleaning and sterilization procedures and techniques.
- Basic understanding of various functions of the department.
- Conscientious regard for technical and minute procedures.
- Able to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Must be teamwork oriented, self-starting individual with good judgment and maturity to accept responsibility in various medical care situations.
- Must possess basic computer skills related to Windows navigation, mouse usage, keyboarding, email communication and password management.
Sterile Processing experience.
Who We Are: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system that includes two hospitals and more than 40 medical specialties, to provide comprehensive medical care in North Central Washington. With over 270 physicians and 150 advanced practice clinicians, Confluence Health is the major medical provider between Seattle and Spokane. Our goal is to deliver high-quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care close to home. Staying on the leading edge of healthcare innovation is important, so we invest in technology--to provide better care for our patients and allow our providers to operate at the highest level. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost-effective manner. Our Vision: To become the highest value rural healthcare system in the nation that improves health, quality of life, and is a source of pride to those who work here.Apply