Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Wenatchee Valley Hospital
Schedule: Full Time; Exempt
Shift: Day Shift
As a member of the Confluence Health management team, the Service Line Director (SLD) of Surgical Services oversees the operations of Urology, General Surgery, Dermatology, ENT, Audiology, Allergy and the Medical Spa and ensures the vision and strategy achieves excellence in all aspects of the Surgical Services service line. The SLD partners with Physician Manager (dyad) to develop, implement, and manage all aspects of the practices to support the strategic initiatives of Confluence Health. The SLD promotes high levels of satisfaction with patients, providers, and staff by proactively addressing concerns through meaningful measures and interventions. They are responsible for patient care management, resource management, and fiscal management. Responsible to collaborate with inpatient partners to develop, implement and achieve SL goals.
1. Establishes strong partnership and collaborative working relationship with physicians, APC’s, and other team members.
2. In partnership with the SVP and Exec Leadership, the SLD and Physician leader develop and implement strategic plan for Service Line. Provides leadership in the development and enhancement of services across the continuum of care, which includes facilitating change.
3. Represent services to the community, ensuring the provision of innovative community-based education and services.
4. Develops and completes comprehensive program-specific situation analysis at least annually, including market share, competitive assessment, utilization, profitability, referral channels and market potential, working collaboratively with Marketing and Business Intelligence.
5. With Physician partner develops service line goals and objectives across the entire organization to ensure access and quality care to all patients in our regional service area. Creates action plans and monitors results. Implements process improvements utilizing CHVS tools and training to meet or exceed targets.
6. Focuses clinical efforts to achieve best practice benchmarks for all specialty areas in the service line.
7. Directs the operation of Surgical Services throughout the organization including service to satellite campuses. Travel to satellite clinics on a regular basis for gemba rounds and oversight of operations.
1. In conjunction with Physician leaders, provide input for APC performance reviews in regard to SL goals.
2. Conducts Practice Manager (PM) performance reviews for direct reports and provides input for indirect reports. Makes recommendation for wage rate adjustments annually.
3. Provides support and coaching for direct reports and assists with development plans for staff as needed. Mentors new leaders.
4. Disciplines and terminates employees as required in consultation with the HR employment manager.
5. Problem solves and addresses issues raised by physicians, employees, and patients.
6. Liaison with SLD colleagues for continuity of care issues across service lines.
1. Responsible, in conjunction with SL Physician Manager, for development and implementation of service line budget(s). Responsible for achieving budget targets. Collaborates with Materials Management to negotiate effective contracts and follow-through with vendors for supplies and services as needed.
2. Works collaboratively with managers and physicians to evaluate and determine new equipment, device, or service line needs.
3. Profit and loss responsibility and accountability for the service line financial performance, including revenue, expenses and budgeting. Develops action plan in conjunction with physician dyad to meet financial goals of the organization.
4. Responsible for execution and achievement of service line goals in alignment with CH mission and strategies. Evaluates trends, variances and problem areas. Works collaboratively with SL Physician Manager and departmental managers to define and/or realign variances.
5. Ensures policies, procedures, and standards are in compliance with regulatory and accrediting bodies. Responsible for successful inspections, plans of correction if needed.
6. May provide consultation on complex projects and is considered to be the top-level contributor/specialist in the service line.
7. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Utilizes Advisory Board resources and trainings for planning, best practice.
8. Familiar with a variety of the field’s concept, practices and procedures.
9. Establishes effective strategies for programs and product/service line with the goal of creating high quality, efficient patient centered service lines.
10. Responsible for development and maintenance of service line communication standards and channels.
11. Ensures development and utilization of Standard Work across the service line.
12. Manages contracts with outside organizations and healthcare systems for services provided in conjunction with in house counsel and SVP.
Provider Relations In Conjunction with SL Physician Manager
1. Participates with physician and APC recruitment for service line.
2. Establishes regular contact with each practice physician and develops working rapport.
3. Assures that physicians receive all pertinent information to achieve the goals of the SL.
1. Supports and promotes a positive image of the practice.
2. Monitors patient feedback and contributes to the process of resolving patient complaints and service issues. Supports manager dyads in creating effective action plans for improvement.
NOTE: This list of job functions is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other functions that may be deemed necessary.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Healthcare or related area.
2. 6 years relevant leadership experience.
3. Internal applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree plus 3 years of relevant leadership experience with CHVS Leader certification.
4. Proficiency within the Microsoft Office suite of software required.
5. Knowledge of organization policies, procedures, systems, and objectives.
6. Knowledge of fiscal management and human resource management techniques.
7. Knowledge of accounting systems, insurance billing and collecting, and budgets.
8. Skill in planning, organizing, and supervising.
9. Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making.
10. Skill in developing and maintaining effective relationships with medical and administrative staff, patients, and the public.
11. Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
12. Ability to counsel/discipline personnel as requested or as may become necessary.
13. Ability to delegate authority, responsibility to other staff personnel as deemed necessary to perform their assigned duties.
14. Ability to handle information in a confidential manner.
15. Must maintain primary residence in the Confluence Health service area.
1. Master’s Degree in Health Administration, MBA, or related field is strongly desired.
2. Lean Certification/trained.
3. Proficiency with Epic EHR.
Who We Are: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system that includes two hospitals and more than 40 medical specialties, to provide comprehensive medical care in North Central Washington. With over 270 physicians and 150 advanced practice clinicians, Confluence Health is the major medical provider between Seattle and Spokane. Our goal is to deliver high-quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care close to home. Staying on the leading edge of healthcare innovation is important, so we invest in technology--to provide better care for our patients and allow our providers to operate at the highest level. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost-effective manner. Our Vision: To become the highest value rural healthcare system in the nation that improves health, quality of life, and is a source of pride to those who work here.Apply