Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Wenatchee Valley Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
To facilitate and assist Cardiovascular Service Line, (CVSL), in providing service excellence and quality patient care by coordinating patient care activities in multiple settings utilizing a variety of nursing skills and functions. The Registered Nurse working in the Device clinic supports continuity of care for the patient with an implanted cardiac device. By utilizing the nursing process, the nurse will assess, analyze, plan, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of the cardiac implanted device. Through problem solving and working closely with Electrophysiology staff and physicians and others in the Cardiovascular Service Line, the nurse will work to provide the highest quality care. The nurse will facilitate device patient care optimizing patient/family satisfaction, and contribute to improvement in cost/quality measures.
1. Provides timely interrogation of patient’s implanted cardiac devices through accurate assessment, analysis of rhythms and interrogation results, intervenes on any results that are outside of normal limits, cardiac rhythm abnormalities or when battery life is declining. Consults the Electrophysiology physician or Cardiologist for any concerns while the patient is in office or for remote monitoring checks, loop recorders or external defibrillators. Maintains open lines of communication with all team members.
2. Documents all device interrogations in clinic and remote accurately, timely and reflecting the plan of care consistent with Device clinic standards and Electrophysiology and or Cardiology Provider direction.
3. Provides coordination of patient follow-up with initial wound checks, in-depth home and in clinic monitoring education, warnings and precautions for patients with cardiac implantable devices or external defibrillators.
4. Plans and anticipates patient care by performing timely review of patient appointments, pre- surgical clearance documentation, medical records, physician and staff work schedules, documents thoroughly and consistently all aspects of device therapy and monitoring.
5. Facilitate and supervise patient device tracking in all aspects of care concerning the patient; before, during, and after implant, generator change out, explant.
6. Provides extensive patient and family education regarding normal cardiac functioning as the basis for patient indication of the cardiac implant and works with the patient to develop an understanding of pacemaker and defibrillator function.
7. Provides significant psychosocial support to patients and families particularly patients who are post cardiac arrest or who have undergone defibrillation. Utilizes Listening Well skills understanding the great anxiety and post-traumatic stress patients may experience.
8. Completes charges in a timely manner and reviews reports for outstanding charges.
9. Regularly participates in Outreach working at times independently with Provider support by telephone.
Essential Clinical Expert
1. Participates in teaching/training of other health care delivery staff related to device problem solving and therapies including physicians, APCS, nurses and medical assistants.
2. Serves as a primary resource for cardiac devices and decision maker for other staff within the CVSL and Confluence and community healthcare providers regarding device patient care issues and is available to respond to and act as leader in emergent patient situations ensuring safe and efficient transfer of care within the department and to a higher level of care.
3. Serves as a liaison with other health care agencies or services to promote coordinated health care across the OP-IP continuum. Works very closely with Industry representatives to assure timely and high-quality care for the device patient.
4. Triages and coordinates care for “urgent/emergent” device and CVSL patients and acts as a resource to staff and providers.
5. Provides direct patient care for device and populations served within the Cardiovascular Service Line on an as needed basis.
Essential Patient Care Coordinator and Educator:
1. Provides patient teaching related to cardiac device therapy, defibrillation, monitoring, reporting and maintenance as well as general health maintenance, prevention, safety, self care, and other interventions to achieve individualized patient directed goals.
2. Participates in scheduled office visits as requested by Providers and acts a resource in resolving client needs or problems within the CVSL and healthcare community.
3. Provides phone consultation services with appropriate follow up for device and CVSL population(s) served.
4. Supports team and physician(s) by serving as liaison for patients, other health care workers, and the public.
5. Responsible for the coordination of complicated patient care issues including patient follow-up and appropriate referral to other resources.
Essential Professional Development
1. Participates in departmental Quality Improvement and or Research projects as assigned
2. Maintains professional appearance and manner.
3. Role model of excellent customer service standards
4. Demonstrates ongoing continuing education and staff development per WVMC guidelines
5. Attends required meetings
6. Regularly participates in Outreach to Outlying Confluence clinics.
7. Participates in trainings of Confluence RN’s and staff acting as the primary resource for Cardiac Implantable Devices and monitoring technologies.
8. Facilitates patient support groups providing a forum for patient education and advocacy.
1. Serves on Cardiovascular Service Line committees and workgroups
NOTE: This list of job functions is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other functions that may be deemed necessary.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
Registered Nurse graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Current Washington State RN license.
ACLS within 6 months of hire.
Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice, the nursing process in evaluating and providing patient care.
The ability to apply and modify the principles and methodology of nursing to provide service excellence and quality patient care.
Must have the ability to relate effectively with coworkers, physicians and general staff as part of a team. The RN in this position must be able to communicate well to patients, family members and the general public.
Capability of independent work ethic with minimal supervision.
Strict attention to detail and the ability to respond calmly and effectively in a stressful and challenging environment.
Preference for previous experience in Cardiology in an ambulatory care setting or for specialized experience important to the function of the respective department.
Who We Are: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system that includes two hospitals and more than 40 medical specialties, to provide comprehensive medical care in North Central Washington. With over 270 physicians and 150 advanced practice clinicians, Confluence Health is the major medical provider between Seattle and Spokane. Our goal is to deliver high-quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care close to home. Staying on the leading edge of healthcare innovation is important, so we invest in technology--to provide better care for our patients and allow our providers to operate at the highest level. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost-effective manner. Our Vision: To become the highest value rural healthcare system in the nation that improves health, quality of life, and is a source of pride to those who work here.Apply