Location: Wenatchee, WA
Facility: Central Washington Hospital
Schedule: Pool Position
Shift: Variable Shifts
***Please note: this is a pool position, no guarantee of hours***
This job is responsible for orienting patients to the meal service and menu, assembling patient, visitor and staff meal orders, and delivering food to patient rooms or other designated locations. An incumbent checks with patients who did not place meal orders and assists them as appropriate or placing “pre-orders” for them. Work also includes daily inventory and stock of Nutrition Services floor supplies on the patient care units, and retrieving soiled meal trays from patient rooms. Handles Food according to HACCP guidelines and is aware of minimum standards for a quality food service operation.
1. Assists internal and external customers with orders by answering menu and recipe-related questions; understands the different diets offered and appropriate food items; refers questions beyond scope of authority to appropriate parties (Dietitian or Technician) for correct answers as appropriate.
2. Answers phones to collect meal orders from patients; placing orders for those who did not eat (as appropriate); places any needed pre-orders for the next meal.
3. Assembles trays according to standards, ensuring items on ticket are on the tray; checks plating guidelines and presentation standards to ensure they have been followed; interfaces with kitchen, delivery and clinical staff as necessary.
4. Handles food in accordance with internal quality standards and all food handling guidelines issued by local, state and federal agencies.
5. Delivers meals to patient rooms, placing tray on bedside table within reach of the patient; delivers nourishments to patient rooms.
6. Takes inventory of floor supplies on patient units, recording items needed; delivers needed supplies.
7. Prepares, and portions/packages foods and supplies.
8. Prepares in-between meal nourishment for patient food service.
9. Assists the dishwasher in returning clean dishes, pots, pans and other supplies to preparation areas to maintain proper levels of stock and service.
10. Works cooperatively and effectively with staff, vendors, and the public to provide excellent value to all our customers. Uses proper business conduct when dealing with suppliers and customers. Tactfully coordinates needs and challenges with staff and supervisors. As needed will answer phone, deliver food, go to the store, and assist in other areas of the department.
11. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards. Attends all required safety education programs. Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions. Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed. Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards. Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
12. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct use of protective barrier equipment. Ensures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures. Attends annual education programs.
13. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment. Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful, and courteous manner as observed by supervisor and peers. Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input. Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations. Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues. Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families, and fellow employees. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management. Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position, department, and hospital policy. Continuously displays a ‘can do’ attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place at hospital.
14. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and intradepartmentally to facilitate the department’s/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives. Participates in staff meetings as determined by supervisor. Supports the hospital’s mission, policies, and procedures through attendance and participation at committee meetings, if applicable. Utilizes automated system to communicate inter- and intradepartmentally, as appropriate. Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by supervisor. Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by supervisor.
15. Follows procedures, standards of safety, and personal hygiene as required by the department. Hands are properly washed and hair covering worn when working with food. Reports to work in proper uniform. Follows the department safety rules.
16. Maintains a “clean as you go” work space.
17. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- One year of related work experience in the hospitality, retail or healthcare service fields, OR any combination of experience and education that would demonstrate the capability to perform the duties of the position.
- Obtain and maintain a Valid Department of Health Food Handler’s permit issued by the State of Washington
- Some knowledge of HACCP food handling standards and guidelines.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply documents such as procedure manuals, operating and maintenance instructions, and safety rules.
- Ability to understand and apply business math as required by the duties of the position. Ability to read, understand and communicate in English sufficient to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of modified diets or healthcare experience.
- Knowledge of the use and application of Relative Point of Sale (POS) systems.
- Knowledge of the operation of trayline services and other food-handling activities.
***Please note: Must be 18 years or older***
***Please note: Must be 18 years or older***
Who We Are: Confluence Health is an integrated healthcare delivery system that includes two hospitals and more than 40 medical specialties, to provide comprehensive medical care in North Central Washington. With over 270 physicians and 150 advanced practice clinicians, Confluence Health is the major medical provider between Seattle and Spokane. Our goal is to deliver high-quality, safe, compassionate, and cost-effective care close to home. Staying on the leading edge of healthcare innovation is important, so we invest in technology--to provide better care for our patients and allow our providers to operate at the highest level. Our Mission: We are dedicated to improving our patients' health by providing safe, high-quality care in a compassionate and cost-effective manner. Our Vision: To become the highest value rural healthcare system in the nation that improves health, quality of life, and is a source of pride to those who work here.Apply